"I can trust you to do this."
That was what my supervisor said while tasking me with the social media for our podcast at the Center for the Study of the American South two weeks after our launch. I was working on the project as an Associate Producer and had not planned on doing the social media, but we needed a bump in numbers, fast. 
The Strategy
First I needed to look at the data. Using the analytics tools available to me (Twitter Analytics, Google Analytics, and Later.com) I saw the content that got the least momentum was about our hosts, or what our podcast was about. 
The content that achieved the most impressions was the content about our guests. 
Since our guests were professors, community activists, writers, they had gained an active audience on social media. Especially Twitter, the center's platform with the largest following. 
With this information, I knew the next step was to make our message about our guests.
The content
To highlight our guests I first started with the basics: headshots. I found headshots of all our guests and branded them a bit. Filtered them through the logo's color, and added our podcast's name to the corner. 
Next I wanted to add an interactive element. After some consideration, I thought an audio spectrum with a short clip from the guest's interview would be engaging. 
Creating content is only half the battle - I needed to get the message out there. 
I found popular organizations that the guests were involved with and started tagging them and reaching out to see who would post about it on their accounts.  
The Result
The new content and strategy was a success. The next episode after we aired the content, we increased listeners by 500% and gained over 20,000 new impressions on our social media platforms, resulting in 1,000 new followers on Twitter by the end of my time there.
Back to Top